Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Settled? I Hope Not

 It seems like most people want to know right now...where are we living, are we settled,how long will we be here....

Since we sold our house so quickly, we had to scurry to find a temporary place to live and we needed to find it in about a day!  I walked in to my church a couple of weeks ago and saw a friend I hadn't seen in a long time, she had signed up to hear my teaching.  One of my first comments to her was that I would be leaving as soon as I was done and spending the next couple of hours in search of an apartment for us to live in the interim between closing on our house and finding the next one.

She just "happened" to have a townhouse that she desperately needed to sell but graciously offered to rent to us to help us out.

Wow.

I'm not sure if you've had moments like those....where there is NO earthly way to deny that something greater, more powerful, outside of the bounds of our conceptualization of time and resources....and since there is no way in denying that God is moving, and actively working all things out for the good of those who love Him...then the only proper response is to FOLLOW that movement.

And so we did.  We followed my friend to her town home (perfectly distanced between all of our life activities).  We followed the prompting to rent, even if for only three months.  We followed the Spirit as we packed and moved and cleaned.  And now we are continuing to follow the Spirit of God as He prompts us to purchase this home.

So are we settled?  I hope not. We are moved. Boxes are unpacked. Beds are made. The refrigerator is stocked.  But settled?  Nope.

The truth is that I am not sure that we will ever have the feeling of being completely settled or completely comfortable again.  I kind of think God is doing this miraculous thing in our lives....bringing  the Gospel alive in us.  Creating in us a heart that desires more than our comfort.  Creating a heart (not just some words in the book) that is in constant pursuit of becomin a true disciple.  A true follower of Jesus.  Resting and finding contentment right now in this home and the challenges before us, but simultaneously listening and ready for His voice as He called Abram, answering His call as Isaiah and desiring His presence in Jesus.....


"The LORD had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you."
-Genesis 12:1

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
-Isaiah 6:8

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
-Matthew 4:19


When I began this blog, I asked God to reveal in new depths what Paul meant when He said in Philippians....
"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being CONTENT in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

He is revealing His ways. Shaking and steadying my world daily, by His all sufficient GRACE. He is FAITHFUL and TRUE.

No comments:

Post a Comment