Saturday, December 29, 2012

Just Listen

"You don't need to be colossal
To be a great heart"
-Erik



I often spend a lot of time in self-promotion to others, displaying my narcissism very loudly. Seriously.  How many times have you been with someone and you are telling this amazingly, adorable story about your dog or your cat or your husband or wife or child....and the person listening gives not a single word to your story except to match it or beat it with one of their own?!
That, unfortunately, is me....more times than not.  Why can't I just listen, ask more questions., laugh louder...ultimately care MORE about their life than about my own?.....  Even if I have heard their stories a million times and even if they never stop talking and even if  I never get to tell one of my AMAZING stories...

This isn't a place to stay but rather a place to grow from, I know that! And I can admit that it has been something the Lord has worked in me for a long time.  In some conversations, it is easy, natural, and desirable to listen rather than speak....but in others I find myself practicing that beautiful fruit of the Spirit.....self-control!

".but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappear"- 1 Corinthians 13:10

It's important that we share our stories. Those stories that demonstrate His love and mercy and grace that have created and formed who we are today.  And it is so fun to brag about our kiddos and all their amazing gifts and talents. But, for me today, the burden of my heart is to know better the person standing right in front of me.....so that I may speak the word of life into them but also that I may receive from them His word through their life!



 


No comments:

Post a Comment