Friday, October 19, 2012

Your Hand in Mine



We spent the day traveling to Kansas for a weekend with family and old friends....a college homecoming parade and football game, pumpkin patch, beautiful fall weather, apple crisp and of course Sunday dinner....

We made our way to what Asher likes to call the "FARN" where Meemaw works.....we were excited to spend some time feeding the horses.  Cousin Brody and Nana were able to join us and so we were off....

As I stepped out of the car, I was immediately surrounded by the overwhelming comfort of having my mom and my mother-in-law on either side of me and my nephew and my son in front of me....I took pause and breathed in this moment. Entering the stables, my eye was caught by a beautiful painting of a wild horse bordered by the scripture from 2 Timothy1:7...."For He has not given us a spirit of fear, but of LOVE and of POWER and of sound MIND...."

Immediately, I was summoned by Asher's hand to come quickly to feed the the horses with carrots and hay.  Now, Asher was talking a pretty big game (as he often does...processing his fears out loud)...."Come on horsies....get on over here and eat this hay...Come on..." but as quickly as they approached he withdrew finding comfort buried behind my leg. "For He has not given us a spirit of fear ...."

Next enters my nephew, Brody.....hands full of food.  Approaching the fence joyfully, confidently, and intent on offering all that he had in his hands. "But of Love and of power.... "

I took a moment to bend down and very parable-like, offer Asher my thoughts on what was driving him to withdraw...trying to communicate that fear was dominating his thoughts.  But looking into his confused blue eyes.....I closed my mouth....put the carrot in his hand, wrapped my hand around his.....and together WE approached the fence, offered and rejoiced as the horse delighted in the exchange.  
"...and of sound mind..."

I am thankful for my nephew, who, unrestrained by fear, offers his love joyfully.....I delight in Asher when he is released from fear that could grip his moments..I am thankful for the GRACE to see the contrast between the spirit of fear and the spirit of love...and I am thankful for a Savior who grabs MY hand in his and approaches my fears WITH ME.....

.....casting out all fear through His perfect love.


No comments:

Post a Comment